Thursday, March 10, 2011

BulletStorm... It's raining fun

Well based on my title, both the game and my opinion of it are kind of given away. I'm going to do the review anyway... because I can... so suck it.

Bulletstorm is a new FPS (First Person Shooter) by Epic Games and People Can Fly. I've been home on break and all my friends are doing something fun with their lives, so Call of Duty: Black Ops has been kind of lackluster for me. I picked up Bulletstorm on a whim because it was called the "Epic Edition."

Story: The story for Bulletstorm is a hybrid of uniqueness and every game you've ever played. Basically you're an ex-space-military guy who was screwed over by his commanders and went rogue with his team. There's some huge bounty on his head and in a drunken stupor, he tries to take down the "prize ship" of the army he used to be a part of. (Yes, I know that's a dangling participle, deal with it) You crash land on some planet that in some kind of weird civil war. There's a moderate sized collection of cool guns you pick up during the campaign and a "leash" that lets you pull stuff around. Honestly, nothing particularly great, but still enough to keep me interested,

Gameplay: This is where Bulletstorm shines. I picked it up like I would any other FPS; aiming down the sights, melee-ing at close range. You know, the usual. After picking up the leash and realizing I was being graded on my shots, I realized the normal way wasn't going to be good enough. Now I'm running around kicking people into spikes, shooting them up in the air then blowing their legs off, shooting them in the balls so they beg for mercy and finishing the job with a headshot. Yeah, these are all real things in the game and you're rewarded for doing them. The game was suddenly particularly fun.

Upgrading the weapons increases this feeling. When I got to steer my sniper rifle shot into a guys head, drag him around the area I tagged him, then pulled the trigger to set off the explosive in the bullet, I had to pause because I was laughing so hard. I forgot how much fun games could be.

I didn't try the multiplayer yet because I don't have XBOX Live connection at the moment, but from reading the description, they take the campaign and design segments just like it. You're rewarded for ridiculous team combination ways of interesting killing. If you have a group of friends to play with, I imagine this is disgustingly fun to do.

Visuals: The game was also really nice to look at. The world they created was filled with exotic plants, waterfalls, and buildings. It was all coated in blood in some parts, which made it feel a little more grim and real to the war going on, but still interesting to look at. Besides it being a very "pretty" game, one ting I noticed was a great connection to size. Things designed to be very big monsters or mining equipment felt HUGE compared to my human sized character. Mountains and waterfalls felt like they'd take days to get around. I was impressed with how wall People Can Fly kept their feet on the ground with the world.

Overall: When it really comes down it, you want to know if you should buy it, right? If you commonly play FPS games and have gotten bored with the usual games, go out and get Bulletstorm. If you're new to FPS games, go get Bulletstorm and see how fun they can be. If you're hugely amused by boner jokes and interesting curses... go find a friend who has Bulletstorm and watch them play. You'll laugh your ass off. I'm happy with my investment and if you'll excuse me, I'm about to use this 4-barrel shot gun to blow a guy's legs off and then kick him into a mutated flytrap.



I'll get back to you once I get HomeFront and try that out.

No comments:

Post a Comment